View Full Version : Why You Need To Properly Dispose Of Ashes
12-06-2006, 12:51 PM
Fire Displaces Two Families in Rockville
Wednesday, December 6, 2006; 11:15 AM
At least two families are displaced after a fire at a Rockville townhouse spread and gutted the three-story building.
Montgomery Fire spokesman Pete Piringer says the fire began when fireplace ashes were disposed of in a wooden box. That fire caused a 20-pound propane tank and gas grill on the deck to explode.
The bigger fire then caused the siding of the townhouse to ignite, which melted the gas meter and helped fuel the fire with natural gas.
It just sounds like Murphy's law. Or one of those uh oh, not good, that's looks bad, how can it get any worse, omgwtfpwned lines. What a messy chain of unfortunate events.
12-06-2006, 01:11 PM
Last Christmas, we had a charcoal smoker.
Donnie smoked the turkeys on Christmas Eve and then proceeded to wet the ashes down in the smoker overnight.
The next day, he stirs them, and dumps them into a trashbag and puts them into a plastic trash can outside along our wooden fence so he could start smoking the hams.
I am inside cooking, he comes in for something and gets distracted (by me cleaning the fridge) and Gracie, our min Schnauzer is barking like mad in the living room staring out the back door. I ask Audie what she was barking at (she would normally run outside if she was barking at someone/thing) and Audie calmly replies, "uh, the fence is on fire."
Sure enough, the fence is on fire, shooting higher than the roof. Not too far from the roof of the house and the fire had caught the bag of charcoal on fire, my gardening bench and came within a foot of two propane tanks - not to mention less than a foot from the house.
Yep. Donnie learned that day. I haven't let him live it down. And we now have a propane smoker.
12-06-2006, 01:21 PM
Learned it in Boy Scouts...fire isn't out until the coals are pudding. Lots of water water water. If you don't wanna wait that long...I suppose you could always dig a small hole in your yard and bury the ashes?
12-06-2006, 01:35 PM
Until you can walk on the ashes barefoot....
12-07-2006, 04:00 PM
Along this line, a neighbor of my parents shoveled out the ashes from their woodstove after not having a fire for about a week. The neighbors put them in a paper bag and set them out on the wood deck, thinking the coals were out. Even after a week the coals were still somewhat warm and with the new oxygen from the movement to the paperbag, they became very active. After the fire started a few hours later from the slow heat buildup, the deck caught fire. The family got out in time, but the house was nearly a total loss. Did I mention that they just finished remodeling it too?
12-07-2006, 07:44 PM
Mmmm. A real lesson. I was thinking it was going to be an Al Bundy- "That's a good smoked burger!" lesson.
12-07-2006, 09:42 PM
Reading the headline, I thought this story was going to be about someone who left their cremated dead relative's ashes on the kitchen counter next to the flour and sugar.
"Hey ma, why does this cake remind me of Uncle Earl?"
12-08-2006, 10:01 AM
Why would anybody put ashes in a flammable container? :shrug:
It's just common sense...
NEVER TAKE OUT HOT ASHES. Unless you are running a continuous fire (and very few people need to), let the fire die out and leave it overnight to let the ashes cool. Embers can last a long time, especially in a wood stove with proper damper controls.
Never put ashes in anything that can burn. Use a metal bucket. No plastic or wood or paper bags or anything else that's flammable.
Never store ashes on or near anything that can burn. Set the ash bucket on concrete/bare ground away from the house.
If you absolutely need to dispose of the ashes immediately, the only way to ensure that there is NO CHANCE of ashes coming back would be to fill the bucket with water.
The cans we used for ashes when I was little would sit outside for several days before we would empty them. We'd keep 2 buckets. When the second bucket got full we'd empty the first one. This made sure that we never dumped anything that was even warm.
This falls under the same kind of "DE-DE-DEE" category as the people who burn down their house by refueling their hot lawnmower in the garage. :duh:
Powered by vBulletin® Version 4.1.12 Copyright © 2013 vBulletin Solutions, Inc. All rights reserved.