View Full Version : Finally made my mind : MacBook Pro
04-08-2007, 01:07 PM
So it looks like I might be working in china for a while this summer and I'll probably need to bring a laptop. Now seems like a good chance to purchase the Macbook Pro I've been drooling over for so long.
I just want to know if now would be a good time to buy it. Will there be any major advances in processor technology that would warrant me waiting a bit? I would probably be looking out for a good refurbished product for the savings, so what I buy won't be the absolute newest product anyway, but I don't want to buy one if we're at the brink of some significant technological revolution either. I don't care if the processor speed doubles a month after my purchase, I'm just trying to avoid buying before fundamental processor architecture shifts. As long as the core2duo will be around for a while, I'm just gonna get one.
BTW, I'll probably be using Windows for half of my work and Mac OS for my Adobe stuff.
04-08-2007, 01:31 PM
I believe that Intel has a new architecture (Santa Rosa?) coming out in May I believe. I'm thinking that they may roll out new MacBook pro's on June 11th.
I'm also looking forward to hopefully having LED lit screens. My plan is to sell my MacBook and buy a Pro if new ones come out in June.
04-08-2007, 03:46 PM
Wow. Exactly what I was fearing. But if it is indeed released on June 11, that will be 4 days before I leave for the trip. I could rush to get it, but I was never an early adapter. And there won't be any refurbished items that early after the release.
However, if the new architecture doesn't provide a ground-breaking leap of performance over the previous, this may be a blessing since I would assume the prices for the older models would drop.
Hmm...I'll need to think more about this.
04-08-2007, 05:05 PM
Oh, and don't forget about Leopard. Most likely will be released in June. I think (don't know for sure) that usually if you've bought a Mac within 30 days of the new version of the OS coming out they'll give you the upgrade for free (I think it's $130, $70 educational)
04-08-2007, 05:43 PM
I just read your link again and it seems like the potential improvements for the system, and the Leopard deal you mentioned, will be reason enough to wait. Can't wait.
04-13-2007, 10:18 AM
Well, don't worry about the Leopard thing now :(
04-14-2007, 12:32 AM
Just read the news. sucks.
06-05-2007, 02:26 PM
GO! BUY! :) Hopefully these arrived in time for your trip.
06-05-2007, 09:33 PM
Thanks for the heads up. Trip got cancelled. :( But I got a better job in here in NY, so it worked out fine.
I'm still gonna get a macbook pro for sure, but there's no longer a rush to get one. I'm gonna hold off for a bit and read the reviews. The new office I'm working in uses macs, so it'll be a good chance for me to get used to the interface. BTW, the new macbook pros are looking good!!
06-06-2007, 09:39 AM
I plan to buy one myself after next Tuesday (just in case something cool happens). Need to sell my Macbook on ebay first though.
06-07-2007, 11:45 AM
Leopard probably won't come out for awhile, unless something surprising is announced at WWDC'07 which starts next Monday 6/11.
New MBP's are nice especially with the 15's having LED backlit screens and the upgraded mobile gpu.
Powered by vBulletin® Version 4.1.12 Copyright © 2013 vBulletin Solutions, Inc. All rights reserved.