View Full Version : dell laptop keyboard
04-14-2004, 01:58 AM
anyone have a dell laptop that has a mushy keyboard? im wondering if any of you know how to fix it. i emailed dell about it and they want me to send in my system just so they can fix it. id rather fix it myself. ive seen things where people used foam tape, but those were with the latitude laptops. anything for the inspiron? specifically the 600m?
04-14-2004, 03:07 AM
Thanks for reminding me. I finally got off my lazy ass after reading your post 10 min ago and fixed my laptop. I have the inspiron 8500 and it has the flimsy flex keyboard like yours.
Your laptop should be the same way, so just do what i did.
1. Unplug from power and take out battery
2. Open your laptop flat, with the display facing up.
3. gentaly snap off the top portion of the frame around your keyboard, the part where your power button is located. There should be a small notch on the left side, start there and work your way right. Be careful not to bend it too much cause it might snap.
4. There should be two screws keeping the keyboard in place, unscrew them
5. Slide keyboard up and out, it should have a cable connected to the motherboard, unplug it.
6. At this point i took some time to clean up a little. my laptop had collected some junk which i wiped out.
7. get some foam tape and put it on keyboard whereever you feel it flex. Mine flexed on the right side so i put 4 small pieces along where the keyboard touches the raised portion on my laptop.
8. re-assemble :)
hope this helps
04-14-2004, 04:51 PM
will the tap melt or anything? like the adhesive stuff? ive heard of people doing this, and im just kind of scared putting tape in it and having it melt and mess up my laptop
04-14-2004, 07:40 PM
i doubt it will melt, the area mine was flimsy was right above the cd drive anyway, it shouldn't get too hot there
Powered by vBulletin® Version 4.1.12 Copyright © 2013 vBulletin Solutions, Inc. All rights reserved.