OK, this is starting to bug me...
I have UT loaded on my home PC (W98SE, PIII 600, 32MB TNT2 Ultra) & it runs great. That is, until I try to play an internet game. Once I connect to the Internet over my DSL connection (768k), I'll be able to play for maybe 2-3 minutes, and then my ping rate will shoot up to 1000-1500; bad enough so that I can't even move. After about a minute, they'll go back to normal (90-100s) & I can play again for a few minutes. It'll do this over & over.
I don't have anything else running in the background - virus scanner is off, no FTP running, no Napster, nothing that's using the DSL except for UT. I've tried switching the network configuration in UT from LAN to Cable/DSL to ISDN, and that doesn't seem to make any difference.
I have the same config on my PC at work, and UT runs great over the T1. It seems to be something screwed up with my setup at home or with the DSL connection.
Anyone ever seen this before???
are you constantly connecting to the same server? or does this happen with every server. Does this happen with any other application/download?
When i had Win98SE Quake 3 TA would run great but once i upgraded to WinMe its been a pain in the ass, it'll start off fine then after a couple minutes everything gets really really choppy and my ping goes up. Although i think its the server in my case (i haven't tried any other servers so i'm not sure)
BTW, I also have 768/128 DSL
It happens on every server I connect to, including one that I own on another network
I did some tweaking that the DSLReports page recommended (check it out if you haven't already - http://www.dslreports.com/tweaks )
This improved the situation somewhat, but it's still annying enough to really cheese me off. I'm still convinced that it's a DSL problem, so I'm going to keep playing with the settings...