I hate to say it, but I didn't like the movie. I saw headlines about a few negative reviews that were scathed by fanboys online just before the movie premiered. I have to say, not having read the reviews, I think a good ripping was warranted of this film.
I loved the previous "The Dark Knight" film. I did not like "Batman Begins." I found the 3rd and final was closer to the first (not just in story) than the second.
1, The most obvious flaw of the latest installment was, in my mind, the HORRIBLE audio mixing job they did with the voices. It was hard to make out the native english speaking actors at times, and Bane was barely understandable. I thought for a while it was the theater or my own brain being lazy. "There's NO WAY an audio production engineer would have let the content hit the shelves like this" I thought. The movie needs subtitles. Badly.
2. Bane is butchered as a character. Here's the wiki description:
Bane is an escaped convict from an island prison in South America and a super-villain/assassin. Bane has abnormal strength as a result of having had undergone experiments involving a derivative of the drug Venom. He became known as "The Man Who Broke the Bat" when he broke Batman's spinal cord, forcing Bruce Wayne to give up the Batman persona while he recuperated.
The only piece of that that is true in the movie is the last sentence. I can appreciate Heath Ledger taking liberties with the Joker, but it was at least a fun modern take on the character.
Bane in the new film is just another anarchist with super strength that no one explains. His mask is mostly pointless as is his dialogue. And why is he wearing a thick winter coat through the majority of the movie? Black Mask would have been a better villain for this plot.
3. Anne Hathaway is a forgetable catwoman. Had I not said that, you could have gone the whole film without knowing she was catwoman. Hot or not, her character was utterly pointless in the film. I could see this being a "set up" film for a later film appearance like Batman Begins, but this is supposedly the final installment.
4. Throughout the film, everyone figures out who batman is, except for Commisioner Gordon. Dumb.
5. Robin again is another setup character, but what was the point? There are going to be no more movies. Nevermind I still can't get over this is the kid from 3rd Rock. there are some characters that can't escape former roles. (al bundy anyone?)
6. We saw Batman become batman in "Begins." We saw him kick ass in "Dark Knight." He's already old and decrepid in this version before he's fought Penguin, Riddler, Poison Ivy, Mr. Freeze, Dr. Strange, etc. There's a huge time gap in story that doesn't make sense. We deserved at least a few more movies before Bruce Wayne used a cane.
7. No one fires Alfred.
8. The voice accent for Bane sounded like an imitation of Sean Connery. From SNL, think Celebrity Jeapardy.
I will say I enjoyed the ending of the film. But as a whole, I'm thoroughly disappointed this was the best they could come up with in 2 hrs and 45 minutes of cinema.