I am having a problem with transferring my domain. Here's a little background.
A couple years ago I signed up with Namezero to have a domain and e-mail forwarding. I had their basic service, which gave me the use of the domain but it was registerred under Namezero. I then signed up for their 'plus' service the next year. The 'plus' service allowed the domain registered in my name instead of Namezero's. Around March I was sent an e-mail asking for my information for transferring the domain to my name. They took their time and didn't accomplish this until the 9th of November. I decided I wanted my domain hosted by another company and wanted the domain transferred. When it came time to transfer the domain, it was refused by Network Solutions because it hasn't been at least 60 days since the record was updated (9th of November).
I called Namezero's 'support' line and told them what was going on. I was told their was nothing to do except wait until the 9th of January and transfer the name then. But the domain expires on the 31st of December! I also sent Namezero an e-mail explaining everything in great detail and their response was clueless. It said to contact the company that I was transferring the domain to, and they would take care of everything. This is what I already tried and what got me the refusal to transfer the domain from Network Solutions.
The record for my domain shows that record expires on the 9th of April. Is this when the domain physically expires? Is the 31st of December a date chosen by Namezero? Should I wait to the 9th of January and take a chance the domain is still available? Namezero is charging $34.95 to register for another year. The new company I want to use is charging less than half. Am I screwed by Namezero? I'd hate to pay Namezero for basically two weeks until I transfer the domain. I can call Namezero Monday and see if they can help, but so far they've lived up to their name - NameZERO.
If you're going to register again, go with http://www.registerfly.com/
$9.99 / year
free url forwarding and framing
free email forwarding
Unfortunately I have to wait a couple more days. I can transfer on the 9th. I called their 'help' line and was told they keep everything up for about a month to give people a chance to renew. What's odd is that the price for renewing now is $5 less than before. I'll e-mail on the night of the 8th to make sure it gets transferred on the 9th.
What really sucks is NameZERO doesn't answer e-mails, neither does Network Solutions. I hope everything works out right in the end.