Computer Price War underway, and WE all win!
Dell has been QUITE SUCCESSFUL in its attempt to win the hearts and minds -- and wallets -- of the computer-buying public, to the extent that one in four PCs purchased today is a Dell. One of the big losers in this has been Gateway, whose sales nose-dived. Now, Gateway has decided to regain this lost market share any way they can. Among these ways: advertising. Expect to see a flood of Gateway commercials on TV (I saw my first tonight). Also among these ways: PRICE CUTS. Gateway is going head to head with Dell on pricing, and Dell is sure to respond. And with these two 500# gorillas both cutting prices to the bone, the other "me, too" players will have to come along... as will the ma and pa system builders. They won't be able to sell their system for $1,200 when a comparable Dell can be had for $600!
To see the opening salvos in this new price war, visit the two sites.
Gateway is offering a $100 price cut on their Gateway 300L model, now $600 with:
• Micro-Tower Case
• Intel® Celeron™ Processor 1.2GHz
• 128MB SDRAM
• Integrated Intel® 3D Graphics
• 20GB Ultra ATA 100 hard drive
• 20X min./48X max. CD-ROM drive
• 15" Color Monitor (13.8" viewable)
• Integrated 10/100 Ethernet
• Microsoft® Works Suite -
Including Microsoft® Word and Encarta
• Microsoft® Windows® XP Professional
While Dell is offering their entry-level configuration of the Dimension 2100 Series for $499 with free double memory and free upgrade to a 16x CD-RW:
• Intel® Celeron™ Processor 1.1GHz
• 256MB SDRAM
• 20GB hard drive
• 16x/10x/40x CD-RW Drive
• 10/100 PCI Fast Ethernet NIC
• Integrated Intel 3D AGP Graphics
• SoundBlaster 64V PCI LC Sound Card
• Microsoft® Windows® XP Home Edition
• Microsoft® Works Suite 2002 with Money 2002 Standard
Look for life to get INTERESTING over the next couple of months!