1) retail website posts a typo, or a deal with an unforeseen loophole.
2) someone trips upon the typo or the unforeseen loophole, and exploits it. its legit for the first 6 hours.
3) during that 6 hours, the deal takes on a life of its own, spreads to other forums.
4) it becomes a mega-monster deal,and soon, people start to wonder if its legit (too good to be true, too cheap to be real).
5) in come The Idiots.
6) The Idiots start CALLING THE WEBSITE to "confirm" the deal. (i love this part!)
7) website call reps start reporting to supervisors about a huge amount of calls about the same thing - a flag is raised.
8) webmasters also at the same time notice a huge hit on their servers, and all on the same page.
9) at the same time, inventory control notices a huge number of order for the same thing.
10) all 3 corroborate, and figure out, 6 hours later.
11) decision is made - the page is pulled. deal is done, the damage done. Call reps are informed. Damage control.
12) Relentless, The Idiots keep calling.
13) In come The Worry Warts. pages and pages of "worry posts" posted. fingers crossed. waiting for email confirmations.
14) in come The Spoiled Whiners. they now post angry messages about how they will call the BBB, the supervisors, their congressman, their senators if their purchase is not delivered or honored. baby cries are heard. Screenshots posted as proof. Original thread is now 50 pages long. and counting.
15) daily updates - no sorry, HOURLY updates, continued questions. continued HOLLOW threats. thread grows to 70 pages.
16) newbies start posting, asking about the deal. They just heard about it. thread grows to 90 pages long.
17) webmaster of forum gets tired, LOCKS the thread.