So we were shopping around for a place to buy, but we decided to chance it and hold off on buying for a little while longer. Just hoping that the bubble bursts, but we are also thinking about looking elsewhere as anywhere is cheaper than here.
As a result, we started looking at Apartments again, but decided that we would go for a one bedroom place to save money towards eventually buying a place. I have been amazed at how small all of these places have been. We were looking for a certain features (W/D or W/D hook-ups, a/c, etc) and to our amazement almost no placed had the W/d. A lot of the places had ancient appliances or were in bad condition or bad area.
So a few weeks ago we looked at this one place that had a bunch of things going for it (W/d, a/c, appliances ok, clean, cathedral ceilings, and great location) The only problems with it, at first glance, were that it was only 750 sq. ft. so it was a bit cramped, didnt have ceiling fans, had a lot of road noise, and was painted a horrid color. After much deliberation and ground giving on my part we went to go apply for it, but there was an unacceptable term on the lease so we walked.
A few days later, we found another unit in the same complex....no road noise at this unit, no horrid color, no horrible term. We applied for it, but lost out on it since the other person was willing to sign a longer lease than we were. (9mos vs. multi year)
On monday, we found yet a third unit at the same place. This one, had no road noise, no horrible term, but was on the ground floor so no cathedral ceilings. Otherwise it was basically the same unit. .. the only other difference was the bathroom was set up differently ( I liked the other set-up better) Once again, since we hadnt found anything better, we went for it. Yesterday, we received a call that we had been selected from all the applicants. We told the landlord that we wanted to move in on the 1st of July, which is only a week away. This was meant by a long diatribe telling us that we had to move in on Monday (so 3 days earlier...which meant prorating those 3 days). The guy also started using the market as leverage saying that he had 2 others that were almost as qualified as us who he was turning down to give it to us, and it was his terms or none at all.
Annoying but not the end of the world, definitely not enough for us to walk on the unit. So we are meeting tomorrow to sign the lease. I am still just not thrilled with the california prices or sizes. I wouldnt have gotten a new place unless I thought it wasnt necessary, which I think it is for everyones sanity. My wife has figured that even if we decide to move, it wouldnt be until Feb that I could take another state's bar exam at least a month for results, which means March...and then however long it would take me to get a job. That means at most a 3-4 months whereby we might be paying two on two places. (another reason why we went for a cheaper place)
All in all this feels like a mixed bag to me, but is making my wife happy. what can you do?